Sunday 16 June 2013

Glam Jam Magazine Article


Who is Kerri?


My name is Kerri Keller.  I am a 28-year-old Mohawk aboriginal from Edmonton Alberta.  I am an International Model, a National Bikini Competitor and a Go-Go Dancer.  I’ve been dancing since I was a toddler, modeling for 12 years and competing in bodybuilding competitions for two years. My life is ruled by a strong sense of self-worth, endless positivity and impeccable health and wellness. I live and breathe fitness.  My mission in life is to inspire and motivate others to better themselves; not just physically but mentally, emotionally and spiritually as well.

The stereotypes of modeling


            As a society when we see a model in a magazine, on a billboard or in an advertisement we judge them instantly.  We either admire or envy their beauty and physique. Then we quickly come up with 100 reasons to put down the model to make ourselves feel better.  As a model, I have faced this kind of judgment and ridicule often. Things I’ve often heard are: “Models are bimbos.”  “Models get by on their looks.” “Models are just objects.” “All models know are fashion and beauty.” “Models are high maintenance”, etc.  I’m here to set the record straight by telling you a little bit more about a model’s life.  My life.

A model’s life


            I grew up in a small town in Ontario.  I was the youngest of three girls. When I was still a small child my father was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and was quickly confined to a wheelchair.  My parents had built their home in the 70’s as newly-weds but didn’t foresee either of them becoming disabled.  This meant years later we would have to renovate the entire house to make it wheelchair accessible.  It took my mom, two sisters and I over 9 years to renovate our home.  Because of this experience I am now a master at drywall and could “flip” any house. 
 
            Growing up as a tomboy, in the country, with a disabled father meant that I had unusual chores such as chopping and piling dump truck loads of wood. I also changed the oil and filters in our vehicles. I also hunted and fished to provide for our family.  I was the only 15-year-old girl I knew of who got a pump action 30-30 rifle and a gutting knife for her birthday.  I’ve gutted so many deer that I can do it in less then 5 minutes. 

            My parents are my heroes and inspirations. They are everything I strive to be.  Each day with my father was a blessing but every day with the MS was a curse.  I had 19 amazing years with my father by my side but eventually the MS completely robbed me of him.  He’s gone but never forgotten.  I dedicate my life to his legacy and strive to always make him proud. He taught me vital lessons in life.  He taught me how precious our health is, to always preserve it and never take it for granted.  Without our health we have nothing!  
 


            After my father passed away, I pursued post secondary education where I completed Health Sciences and was accepted into dental school.  I quickly figured out that I would not be able to finish dental school due to financial reasons. So I packed my life into my car and drove across the country.  I ended up in Fort McMurray.

Not your average girl


 
      Once in Fort McMurray I got my trucking license. I learned how to operate dozers, graders, scrapers and loaders.  I went on to work at Suncor in the Canadian Oil Fields where I was operating the worlds largest haul trucks.  I was one of the only women out there which meant I had to bust my butt ten times harder to prove myself to the men.  The harassment and scrutiny was out of control!  My co-workers always gave me a hard time because I was a woman and I stood out.  They always said to me, “What are YOU doing here?” I always replied, “Working… the same thing you’re supposed to be doing”.  Apparently they thought I should be in Los Angeles or New York City.




            Being a big rig operator was almost as gruelling as being a model. The days were long. My body got beat up and I was always aching at the end of the day.  I often think back and wonder why I did it.  It was a goal of mine to operate haul trucks and I did it for the same reason as everyone else- the money.  They paid me well but they were paying me for my life.  Working in a mine is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. 

 
One day, while driving over roads that were unusually bumpy, I got a sharp pain in my stomach.  I pulled the truck over and as soon as I dismounted I fell to my knees and started throwing up.  Later, at the hospital, I learned I had a rupture in my abdomen and no longer would be able to work as an operator.

Fitness competition


            After further complications with my abdomen and several surgeries, I decided I would check something else off my bucket list - competing in a fitness competition.  The week of my first contest my abdomen was still bothering me so I immediately went to my doctor.  After extensive testing I was informed I would need another surgery. However, I was so determined to compete, I put it off.  I competed in five contests in four months.  Two weeks before my fifth and final contest I saw my doctor again.  I went in for a check up and was rushed in for emergency surgery.  I was devastated when my doctor told me that I couldn’t compete again.  After the surgery I was told that I would get a call a few weeks later with the results.  I then drove myself home, laid on the couch and within 24 hours I was back in the gym.  Two weeks later I stepped on stage.  I didn’t look my best, but it was a personal goal to compete in that show and I accomplished it. 


Overcoming it all


            Six weeks after my surgery I was in the Virgin Islands for a photography workshop and I got a call from my surgeon. He said that he had some good news and some bad /news. He proceeded to tell me that I had uterine cancer but the good news was that they removed it all.  The surgeon also told me I would have been worse had I not been eating healthy and working out.  Despite the fact that he told me absolutely no working out for 6 weeks after surgery, he knew I wouldn’t listen and then asked how my competition went. 

Being a fighter and a survivor


            We can’t always choose the things that happen to us, but we can choose how we react to them.  I choose to embrace life, to always find the positive and grow from each experience.  People always think my life is perfect and that I hold the world in my hand because I’m constantly upbeat and happy.  I am this way because I make the conscious decision to be.  Life is short and we’re meant to be happy so embrace it.  I set the most unrealistic impossible goals and I don’t stop fighting until I achieve them.  I live my life, in the sense, to inspire people to be more than they already might be. 

Models deserve more respect


            The next time you pick up a magazine and see the models who grace the pages, why not admire and respect their determination? Try giving them some credit for their hard work and courage. Working models are constantly subjecting themselves to unfair ridicule and scrutiny.  Look at these models carefully and know that they’re more then just an object of beauty. They are regular people who may have traveled a journey of hardships that you might never experience.  The only difference that sets each of us apart is what we do with the lessons we have learned from our own experiences.  


 Get your copy of Glam Jam Magazine

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing love for you father and family to draw from when you are weak! An inspiration to me! Everything you have accomplished and overcome is a memorial of it's own to your father, your discipline, your drive, and your beliefs!! Don't ever lose it as I know you won't!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, WOW, WOW... I as the owner of Bionic Sports Nutrition and ZobraLabs Have seen many of the so called top 10 woman in the fitness business, but over all Kerri has got to be my all time favorite! Her loving spirit and mind set really make her a truly powerful woman! Yes I admire her beauty, yes maybe we all do, but knowing a woman such as her with your eyes closed will give you more pleasure; you will know her feelings which is worth more than gold!!!

    Your friend Michael Wigton

    ReplyDelete